A list of the most infamous Northern Soul songs.
A list of the most infamous Northern Soul songs.
These are some of the most iconic Northern soul songs I found through research and a little bit of history about a few of the most popular ones, which gives an insight into how the scene worked. I took inspiration form listening to some of these about how to edit our final images, the influence of music was a massive part of the scene so it is fitting that it should influence my project. The lyrics to some of these songs explain what we want from our project and I think they work as a good description for the concept along side our work.
'Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)' by Frank Wilson
'You Didn't Say a Word' by Yvonne Baker
'The Snake' by Al Wilson
'Long After Tonight Is All Over' by Jimmy Radcliffe
'Seven Day Lover' by James Fountain
‘You Don't Love Me' by Epitome of Sound
'Looking for You' by Garnet Mimms
'If That's What You Wanted' by Frankie Beverly & the Butlers
'Seven Days Too Long' by Chuck Wood
'The Right Track' by Billy Butler
'Stick by Me Baby' by Salvadors
'I Really Love You' by Tomangoes
'Time Will Pass You By' by Tobi Legend
'Landslide' by Tony Clarke
'Too Late' by Larry Williams & Johnny "Guitar" Watson
'You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies' by Dana Valery
'Walking Up a One Way Street' by Willie Tee
'If You Ever Walk Out of My Life' by Dena Barnes
'There's a Ghost in My House' by R. Dean Taylor
Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
-The original version of this song is quite simply the most sought-after Motown and Northern Soul record of all time.
-The song was so rare, and so in demand, that someone paid fifteen thousand English pounds for a copy.
-The Motown single "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" became so huge that everyone wanted to see Frank perform it.
-The song was so rare, and so in demand, that someone paid fifteen thousand English pounds for a copy.
-The Motown single "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" became so huge that everyone wanted to see Frank perform it.
Dobie Gray - Out on The Floor
-Dobie is otherwise best known for his 1973 smash "Drift Away". He was a versatile vocalist who could handle soul, country, and pop, not to mention musical theatre.
-Before adopting the name Dobie Gray, he recorded several singles under the names Leonard Ainsworth, Larry Curtis, and Larry Dennis. His seventh single, "Look at Me," became his first chart hit in 1963, but his true breakout was a 1965 recording of "The 'In' Crowd," whose Motown-style bounce distinguished it from jazzman Ramsey Lewis' celebrated version. Gray hit the Top 20 with "The 'In' Crowd" and also had some success with the follow-up, "See You at the Go-Go". "Out On The Floor" was not a hit in the US, and it was only years later that it became a cult classic.
Both of these two songs were some of the most popular with the artists being the most wanted on the scene, to see these perform or to experience these songs on a night seemed to be one of the greatest acheivements of being part of northern soul
-Before adopting the name Dobie Gray, he recorded several singles under the names Leonard Ainsworth, Larry Curtis, and Larry Dennis. His seventh single, "Look at Me," became his first chart hit in 1963, but his true breakout was a 1965 recording of "The 'In' Crowd," whose Motown-style bounce distinguished it from jazzman Ramsey Lewis' celebrated version. Gray hit the Top 20 with "The 'In' Crowd" and also had some success with the follow-up, "See You at the Go-Go". "Out On The Floor" was not a hit in the US, and it was only years later that it became a cult classic.
Both of these two songs were some of the most popular with the artists being the most wanted on the scene, to see these perform or to experience these songs on a night seemed to be one of the greatest acheivements of being part of northern soul
Comments
Post a Comment