Initial experimentation with our images
Initial experimentation with our images
We conducted our Peak district shoot a week before our city hall shoot hence why these initial experimental pieces only include peak district images.
These are all the initial pieces I created from our shoot. when creating these I did not know fully the style direction we wanted to go in with our series. I have played around with a variety of styles using different types of images and ways of editing. Once these were completed i sent them over to Taylor and we discussed which style we preferred.
Through talking we decided that the styles that fit our concept the best are the images that include layering, colours and subtitles.
The reason we thought layering was a good route to go down is this way, we are able to show a contrast in emotions, once the City hall shoot is done we will be able to layer images from both shoots on-top of each other as a way to show the reality and the reality in the persons head, our thinking is that we can use the city hall images to show what would be happening in reality and the peak district images to show where your thoughts get taken. We also think that we will be able to create pieces using images from the same shoot, this way we can layer images of the same model on-top of each other, if we pick images that contrast emotions the model is showing and layer them this could be another effective way to show the feelings involved in our concept.
Another of the styles here that we think are going to work really well with our concept links to the layering idea and these will be used alongside each other, is using different colours on the layers, I have experimented with red and blue layers, which I think work well with the colours already present in the images. The reasoning we are going to take this concept further is that the bright colours make the image look psychedelic and unrealistic, this goes hand in hand with the idea that the models have been taken from reality, the colouring of the images could be what they are seeing in their head, the music and the drugs create a feeling of a new reality in which every reality is different to each person, the reality comes form the feelings. As we chose for our models to have plain expressions we can use the colours and the layers to show the break from reality.
On top of both of these design ideas we want to take forward the subtitle idea. As our concept relies heavily on music we thought it only fitting to include this in our final pieces. I took lyrics from the famous northern soul songs I researched, specifically lyrics that describe atmosphere and feelings. The way they are added to the images is meant to look like the style of subtitles. This is for a number of reasons, the first being that looking like subtitles it is like showing a still of a northern soul night, as if the images are taken from a film showing what the models hear as they break from reality. We also think that the lyrics we have found describe the type of feelings we want to portray though imagery, hence going together with the photos.
These pieces of experimentation include images of the location, I wanted to play around with the idea of using just the location to show the peace and freedom brought by the feelings. i think they are nice images however I do not think they are right for our concept.

^ This is the first image in which I played around with layering a colour, I like how the colour change makes the image look like a glitch, I think it is effective in showing detachment.
^ This image was me playing around with a similar style to my mood boards, however I don't think it is effective in showing the concept and the style is not strong enough to be taken forward for a final series.
This is when I properly started playing with layering, I was really happy with how these turned out and I'm sure this is the kind of style I want to take forward, I like how the layering can show two emotions on the model , with this style I am able to show the two emotions and feelings happening simultaneously, the physical feeling of being in a club surrounded by music and people and also show the thoughts of each individual person as this is happening, effectively showing the concept. these also work really well as a style as they show movement through the imagery, another link to music and dancing.
This is when I started adding text, at first I added it as a kind of narration to the feelings, however as well as this it works as subtitles as if the images were stills taken form a film.








Comments
Post a Comment