'Northern Soul' A film review
'Northern Soul' A film review
Notes on the 2014 film 'Northern Soul' directed by Elaine Constantine
Notes on the 2014 film 'Northern Soul' directed by Elaine Constantine
I watched the film in its entirety and found that it was a great research file for the lifestyle of a northern soulie. I took a lot of styling inspiration form the styling in the film, from the research I have done the styling is so spot on to how soulies dressed. I used the characters in the film as inspiration when picking models and choosing clothes out at Mooch. The film is like a time capsule, I could do all the article research I wanted but that won't give me a proper feel of the what it truly means tone northern soul, this film filed that gap. It brought all the research I had come across to life in an amazing way, I was able to see all the garments I had researched about in actuality, and all the research I had done about the music and the bonds it creates was portrayed amazingly through main character John's new found friendship with Dj Matt, who were literally brought together and bonded through northern soul music. Music created many new relationships for John who was new to the scene at the start of the film. It is a great example of how northern soul made you feel emotions that you don't get anywhere else, beautifully shown through club scenes, where the dance moves and clothing do all the talking.
Comments
Post a Comment